Well Pump Pressure Switch Repair

Homesteading DIY

Homesteading DIY: Well Pump Pressure Switch Repair

In recent months, I’ve had to file the points (contactors) in the well pump pressure switch on a few occasions, after loss of water pressure to the house.  I finally decided to replace the contactors in the switch.  Our pressure switch is made by Square D, and while you can buy the entire switch, I decided to see if a contactor repair kit was available on

Amazon, and sure enough, it was.  You will need to switch part number to search for the appropriate repair parts.  Our switch part number is 9013FSG, located inside the switch cover, and the corresponding Square D Replacement Contact Kit 9998PC241 worked perfectly; $12 more or less, delivered.

If a fella wants to spend more time on the homestead than off, spending less money is important, which brings us to yet another homesteading DIY project.  This one is relatively small, it took me a couple of hours, and as usual, it was my first time out.  If I have it to do over again, it could probably be done in 30-45 minutes.

Once you have the parts on hand, and you’ve notified the significant other that there will be no water pressure for a bit, it’s time to get started. 

Homesteading DIY: Pressure Switch Repair Process

Step 1: Secure power to pressure switch and well pump at breaker panel

Electrically isolate well pump pressure switch

Step 2: Secure pressure switch inlet valve from the well pump

homesteading DIY

Hydraulically isolate well pump pressure switch

Step 3: Remove the cover from the pressure switch

homesteading DIY

Cover removed from well pump pressure switch

Step 5: Refer to the Square D instructions

a) remove power leads to the contactor block (4 wires)

Homesteading DIY

Power leads removed from well pump pressure switch

b) remove stationary contact block, two screws

c) remove movable contacts

Homesteading DIY

Contact block and movable contacts removed

d) replace contacts with new hardware; movable contacts and block

Homesteading DIY

New contactor block and movable contacts

e) reattach wires to contact block

Homesteading DIY

New movable contacts installed

Homesteading DIY

New contactor block installed; power leads reattached

f) remove old diaphragm, 6 screws

Homesteading DIY

Old diaphragm removed; brass bit goes with new diaphragm

Homesteading DIY

New diaphragm

g) install new diaphragm

Step 6: Open supply valve to switch

Step 7: Re-energize and set pressures; cutoff pressure (operating point on rising pressure) was 50 psi, cut-on pressure (operating point on falling pressure) was 38 psi. Cut-on was reset to 40 psi.

Homesteading DIY

Two nuts used to set pressures

Step 8: Reinstall cover
Step 9: Done

Homesteading DIY: The Journey Continues

Of course this is not the first homesteading DIY project, even when only talking of potable water systems, and it won’t be the last.  In fact it’s only one of two projects being taken on this Memorial Day weekend.  See my posts on replacing the well pump, and on improving the resiliency and sustainability of potable water systems in general.  In short, all supply plumbing on the homestead has been replaced, and unfortunately I will be having to break into the homestead gray and black water (sewage) systems today.
As Geri commented yesterday, “we’ve done a lot of work, but you can’t see any of it.”  That’s more or less true, but I’ll just add that the unseen infrastructure and systems to support life as we know it in the present day, should be good for a long time without the need for major work.
And on this Memorial Day weekend, we celebrate and are grateful for those that have given their lives so that we only have to concern ourselves with such things as this post addresses.
All the best, kind regards, and God bless,
Like and Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/primalwoods
Watch our videos on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/primalwoods
See our posts on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/primal_woods/